What are the pros and cons of IoT?
The most winning feature of IoT technology is its ability to cope with many tasks better than people. IoT-based solutions can handle many tasks better than people, and here we can talk about greater efficiency, convenience, and in some cases, even security. What are the other benefits of the Internet of Things?
- Time reduction. Net of things processes data at incredible speed. There is always a chance of a mistake in human-to-human interaction. People can hardly cope with big volumes of information, while machines can analyze and interpret it fast and flawlessly.
- Improved data collection. IoT apps can better manage data. Smart devices focus on particular tasks, while people prefer multitasking. It allows IoT not to on even the tiniest details while performing the programmed operations.
- Minimized human involvement. IoT can automate any process, and its potential is endless in this respect. It is possible to build an IoT mobile app for practically any task. It refers to both business routines and everyday life. Top-notch solutions can reduce human intervention to almost zero.
However, this breakthrough technology is not flawless and has some shortcomings.
- Data security. It is the biggest drawback of IoT. Unfortunately, nobody can exclude the cases of illegal access. Industrial IoT apps must use strong security protocols, and private networks should be connected to reliable Internet suppliers.
- Privacy issues. IoT systems operate with a lot of critical personal data. It is vital to ensure a satisfactory level of security - from creating a password that is difficult to break, including using biometrics, to installing powerful anti-virus programs.
- Device failure. First of all, all devices highly depend on the Internet connection and cannot operate without it. Furthermore, the software can also fail. These errors can easily affect extensive networks and bring catastrophic consequences.
- Unemployment and reduced mental activity. Smart devices can replace thousands of low-skilled people, increasing the unemployment level. Besides, machinery starts to do a lot of physical work on behalf of people, making them inactive and even ignorant.
Despite existing issues, the demand for IoT solutions keeps growing. IoT apps automate a lot of production processes, control employees, improve customer service and just turn the whole household into a smart system.